Direct Services Coordinator
General Purpose of Position
The Direct Services Assistant works with survivors of domestic and sexual violence to obtain appropriate community resources that will aid in their safety. The advocate provides crisis intervention, danger assessment, safety planning, and empowerment advocacy with a focus on helping survivors deal with the impact of violence.
Duties include answering business/crisis line, completing intake services ,completing documentation accurately and in a timely manner, sorting donations, and cleaning. Beacon Center employees work as a team to accomplish tasks necessary to meet the needs of survivors.
· Minimum of high school diploma or GED.
· Higher education recommended or equivalent life experiences.
· Possesses knowledge of domestic abuse, sexual assault, stalking, violence dynamics and child abuse is preferred.
· Must possess a valid driver’s license, a safe driving record, and pass a background check.
· Computer literacy is required.
· Demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills.
· Plan and organize work for maximum effectiveness and efficiency.
· Be a team member.
· Demonstrate effective public communications and public relations skills.
· Think logically and make practical decisions.
· Be welcoming and accepting to clients and the public, by telephone and in person.
· Respond to a high degree of activity, keeping composure and self-control.
· Demonstrate initiative, accept responsibility, and participate in active problem solving.
· Be a positive role model.
· Demonstrate enthusiasm, personal energy, and endurance.
· Possess awareness of cross-cultural diversity.
· Schedule flexibility.
· Respond to crisis telephone calls, law enforcement calls, crisis counseling requests, and emergency medical needs.
· Make appropriate referrals to other service agencies (medical, counseling, employment, etc.).
· Conduct initial screenings and assessments and work with individuals, recognizing needs for safety, autonomy, and confidentiality.
· Complete shelter intakes.
· Provide and model client advocacy.
· Respond to clients by providing basic and emergency services, transportation, and safety planning.
· Assist clients with legal advocacy, including protection orders.
· Provide clients with information and education about domestic violence, sexual assault and/or stalking.
· Complete exit survey with sheltered clients.
Team Member Responsibilities
· Articulate and adhere to the mission and vision of Beacon Center.
· Know and consistently follow Beacon Center policies and procedures.
· Attend assigned meetings and trainings.
· Work hours as scheduled, be flexible for shift needs.
· Answer the door and phone.
· Other duties deemed necessary and appropriate by the Direct Service Supervisor or designee.
· Provide necessary support to the primary activities or operation of the organization.
· On call when scheduled.
· Complete paperwork in a timely manner.
· Cleaning of office areas and shelter areas as assigned.
· Have basic knowledge or Beacon Center and community programs for referral purposes.